While being a digital nomad means you can work from anywhere, it does not mean that you necessarily should. As a digital nomad, it is important to consider the cost of living, how livable the environment is, and even the nomad community. All of these factors play an important part in deciding where to work and live. Luckily for you, we are taking the guesswork out by giving you a list of 10 awesome cities for Digital Nomads in 2020:
Playa del Carmen, Mexico
This is a perfect destination for North American Digital Nomads, because it is affordable, nearby, and a beach city. There are several low-cost rent apartments that you can find through Airbnb as well. Best of all, you can gorge on delicious Mexican food without breaking your bank account. This city has recently been establishing itself as a digital nomad hotspot, therefore there is a rise of coffee shop and new co-working spaces. Vámonos!
- Low cost of living with killer local food
- Beautiful sandy white beaches and Mayan Reef
Berlin is a great destination if you are keen on having a home-base whilst traveling the rest of Europe. Germany has amazing visa options for artists and freelancers to obtain (to get more information about this contact your local embassy). Thus, it is probably one of the easiest places to move to as a Non-EU citizen in Europe and continue a digital nomad lifestyle. Plus Berliner food, EDM vibes, and a lively artist’s atmosphere make it a perfect destination for creative digital nomads.
- World-class art, architecture, city life and foods
- Budget and luxury experiences in and out of the city center
Typically, the further east you go in Europe, the cheaper the cost of living is. Which is why Budapest is a top destination for many digital nomads. The city is not short of beautiful architecture, delicious food, and a variety of amazing coffee shops. Besides, finding a cheap, high-end apartment through Airbnb is usually not an issue.
- Budget-friendly accommodations with classic European architecture
- Beautiful city center with killer foods and things to do
Like Hungary, Poland is another affordable European country to visit. Gdansk, Poland is right by the Baltic sea, and it is known for its cute old town. After a hard day of work, you can enjoy a nice sit-down meal in one of the many vintage-styled cafes, or take a lovely stroll if the weather is nice. Gdansk even has city-wide WiFi– meaning you don’t have to splurge on data for your phone. Pretty good deal!
- Beautiful old town European architecture with vintage cafes
- Free city-wide wireless Internet connection
Chiang Mai, Thailand
Ah yes, you didn’t think we would go through this list without mentioning the classic? Chiang Mai, Thailand is a digital nomad’s staple location. This city has many co-working spaces, a massive digital nomad community, and outstanding internet connectivity. This is a great place to have comfort and productivity.
- Digital nomad focused businesses and communities
- Beautiful misty mountains and lively nightlife options
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Kuala Lumpur is an incredibly advanced and spacious city. Unlike many other crowded cities in Southeast Asia; in Kuala Lumpur, you can enjoy space and solitude. Specifically known for its good internet and infinity pools, here you really can mix work and play. Bonus: it is a major airport hub and easily accessible from many other digital nomad cities in Southeast Asia!
- Future-like downtown area with richly cultured touches
- Modern Internet and amenities access
Bali, Indonesia is a very hyped, digital nomad spot. A large community of digital nomads lives in Canggu, where the beaches and co-working spots are plentiful. Unlike the other digital nomad destinations, it is more common to live at a home-stay rather than an Airbnb. It is a great way to make other nomadic friends from all over the world. Although it is still budget-friendly, it is more costly than Thailand or Vietnam.
- Major digital nomad hub, with oodles of co-working spots and activities
- Cheaper than some, but more costly than others; mid-range cost option
This adorable European city is a great nice change of pace from Southeast Asian city life. Here you can enjoy the amazing mountainous views, fantastic eastern European hospitality, and delicious food. If you come during winter, you can even enjoy some ski time!
- Beautiful mountainous terrain with killer sites and ski opportunities
- European city with storied history, architecture and local cuisine
This South American destination is a great way to spice up your digital nomad journey. The prices are affordable, and finding a place to rent is usually not too complicated through Airbnb. The good weather and plentiful co-working spaces make it a favorable Latin American city for digital nomads.
- Latin American flavor with beautiful hilly terrain
- Storied history and beautiful weather year round
The city famously known for having 300 days of sunshine makes it a great winter destination for digital nomads. The food is reasonably priced, and it has an extremely friendly digital nomad scene.
- Beautiful local architecture, museums and art
- Eerily long good weather almost year round
So whether you are in Asia or Europe, there are many digital nomad communities all over the world. Depending on your budget, weather preferences, and visa status will largely impact your decision. No matter which location you end up on this list, it is guaranteed you will be able to get a good wifi connection as well as an epic time! Safe travels!